Shibori - Itajime
ITAJIME SHIBORI with Rob Jones
£55.00 one-day class, 10 am - 4.30 pm
In this class you will learn the 'Itajime' Shibori technique, which focusses on folded and clamped resist techniques.
You will create a range of patterns which you will then dye in a pre-prepared Indigo vat.
During the class you will learn:
- The three basic folding techniques used for preparing fabric for clamp resist dyeing, known as 'Kikko' (equilateral triangles, right angle triangles and squares).
- Stitched Itajime techniques.
- Using special wooden and Perspex shaped boards to create kaleidoscopic repeating patterns.
- How to use multiple dips to create varied patterns in a range of blues.
- Traditional patterns such as 'Sekka' (snowflake) and the tortoiseshell will also be demonstrated.
ABOUT THE TUTOR:
Rob Jones is a Textile Designer specialising in the Japanese resist dyeing technique 'Shibori', meaning to wring or to squeeze. Having discovered shibori at West Dean College, Rob went on to study in Japan under indigo dye guru Bryan Whitehead. His passion lies in finding the new in the old, building on the tradition and centuries of skill that shibori has behind it. Rob will be bringing along samples of his work to the workshop (some of which will be available for purchase), as well as Shibori books should anyone wish to continue their practice at home.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING TO THE CLASS?
The class price includes the use of the indigo dye and special threads and tools needed. You will need to bring some fabric and basic accessories - a full list will be emailed to you when you book onto the class, or you can contact us at the shop for more details.
NEXT CLASS DATES
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL CLASSES ARE SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC.
We are currently unable to give future dates or take bookings whilst things remain uncertain.
Thank you for your patience during this time.