Sashiko and Boro Stitching
SASHIKO AND BORO STITCHING with Rob Jones
£55.00 one-day class, 10.00am - 4.30pm
Suitable for complete beginners, in this workshop you will learn the traditional hand stitching techniques 'Sashiko' and 'Boro'.
'Sashiko', meaning 'little stab', is the Japanese art of stitching beautiful patterns using running stitch. Although most people will be familiar with the traditional white stitches on indigo, sashiko thread actually comes in many shades (we have 270 to be exact!), allowing for a wonderful variety of colourful designs.
Boro (more accurately 'Boro boro'), meaning 'rags or tatters', is the art of repairing fabric using scraps and stitching. Historically a source of shame in Japan for many years, these fabrics are now highly sought after.
During the course you will learn about:
- The history and origins of Sashiko and Boro.
- How to use Sashiko stitching to enhance your work.
- How to mark up your patterns on fabric using a variety of pens and templates.
- How to stitch neatly and precisely - Sashiko is all about even stitching!
- The rights and wrongs of turning corners, crossing lines and intersections.
- Starting and finishing a row of stitch allowing room for stretching and washing.
- How to make a hatamusubi (loom knot) to maximise the use of your thread.
- How to repair a garment using scraps, both modern and vintage.
- Practice using visible repair to enhance and strengthen textiles.
ABOUT THE TUTOR
Rob Jones is a Textile Designer specialising in the Japanese resist dyeing technique 'Shibori', meaning to wring or to squeeze. Having discovered shibori at West Dean College, Rob went on to study in Japan under indigo dye guru Bryan Whitehead. His passion lies in finding the new in the old, building on the tradition and centuries of skill behind Japanese textiles. Rob will be bringing along samples of his work to the workshop (some of which will be available for purchase).
CLASS LEVEL: BEGINNER
This class requires no prior knowledge and is perfect for beginners.
NEXT CLASS DATES
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL CLASSES ARE SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC.
We are currently unable to give future dates or take bookings whilst things remain uncertain.
Thank you for your patience during this time.